[wisb] Re: Milwaukee gulls today 2/14

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2012 16:29:15 -0600

A few of us had a GBB Gull like that at Sheboygan a couple of years ago
- everything fit, except the size (actually ever so slightly smaller
than a Herring Gull.)  I finally looked at the size given in the Howell
and Dunn gull book, which listed a RANGE of 25"-32" - most field guides
seem to list an average or largest size (usually 30+" for Great
Black-backs.)  We eventually decided it was likely a small female.

It's really easy to forget about normal size variations among
individuals, not to mention male/female dimorphism in birds other than
raptors.  (Pectoral Sandpipers are a really good example of the latter -
males can be up to 50% larger than females, per one of my shorebird guides.)

Peter Fissel
Madison WI