[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 9/17/11

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 12:22:08 -0700 (PDT)

It's hard to believe today was a Fall day. Sure, the weather was Fall-ish, but
the birding definitely wasn't.

I covered my study site for Bill Mueller's MCAMMP project. I work the farthest
north ravine in Lake Park. The darndest thing happened today. It took me 25
minutes to survey the ravine, and in that time I couldn't find a single bird of
ANY species! The only things moving in the ravine were Grey Squirrels,
Chipmunks, and the occasional falling leaf. After I finished the transect, I
walked the top of the ravine on both sides out of curiosity, and only came up
with a single Black-capped Chickadee! Curious to see what the Lake Park Warbler
Walk folks came up with.

Then I checked North Point and Bradford Beach. No shorebirds whatsoever. Just
Herring and Ring-billed Gulls (and a couple of Common Yellowthroats in the rain
gardens).

Saw the Red Squirrel again today, chasing a Grey Squirrel. This was kinda
comical in that the Red Squirrel was about half the size of the Grey Squirrel.
The Grey Squirrel seemed pretty scared. :-)

A few non-birding highlights:

* Some bagpipers serenade me on my morning walk. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6156014819/in/photostream

* Some sort of sandcastle-building competition at Milwaukee's Bradford Beach.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6156019143/in/photostream

* A contingent of students from Marquette University run along Milwaukee's
Lincoln Memorial Drive, participating in today's Briggs & Al run.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6156560846/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee