[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 4/2 - FOY Vulture and FOY Phoebe

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2012 15:18:22 -0700 (PDT)

Had a couple of first-of-year (FOY) birds today along the Milwaukee lakefront:

* An Eastern Phoebe was flycatching on the east side of Veterans Park lagoon.
Interestingly, despite the talk of early migrants, this Phoebe was a day later
than my FOY sighting in 2011.

* Turkey Vulture, soaring high above the high-rise condos along the lake bluff,
slowly moving north against the NE breeze. My FOY Vulture last year was on
April 4.

And a couple of other items:

* Mix of ducks in the harbor was pretty much the same as yesterday (Sunday),
except there were reduced numbers of individual birds and no Black Scoter or
Horned Grebes.

* Half dozen Golden-crowned Kinglets.

* 4-5 female Red-winged Blackbirds (saw only one yesterday).

And two photos:

* Surprisingly, I think this is my first American Robin photo of the year. :-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6893989110/in/photostream

* The catkins/flowers are blooming on the Weeping Willow trees:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/7040087477/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee