[wisb] Milwaukee Lakefront, 2/9/12 - photo essay

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 22:12:03 -0800 (PST)

A few highlights from today's BIGBY walk along Milwaukee's lakefront:

* There just might be a Lesser Black-backed Gull, a Thayer's, a Glaucous, and
an Iceland Gull in this photo. Marilyn Bountly found all four while scoping
this section of Milwaukee's McKinley Marina today:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6850135885/in/photostream

* For some reason I really like this shot of gulls on the ice at Milwaukee's
McKinley Marina:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6850133797/in/photostream

* Are these yellow feathers I found on the ground on Milwaukee's lake bluff
from a real bird, or are they artificially colored? If from a real bird, what
species?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6850140581/in/photostream

* Today I found what looks to be the entrance to an animal den on the Milwaukee
lake bluff just east of the intersection of Ogden and Prospect. The opening is
about a foot across. Seems kinda large for a fox, and the hill seems pretty
steep for a groundhog. Coyote?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6850138071/in/photostream

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee