[wisb] Migrating pelicans in crawford county

  • From: starkal@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 21:09:50 +0000

Howdy wisbirders,
As I was out and about today I noticed a flock of white birds flying in a rough
V-formation. Turns out to be over 100 pelicans coming down the river.

Also stopped at the duck pond to see if the cinnamon teal is ever going to be
back in  prairie du chien...I should probably stop holding my breath. Besides a
bunch of mallards there 2 black ducks, just like last winter. Also noticed a
weird mallard hybrid. It looked like a mallard with the chestnut breast, but
the head had a ring around the eye like a wood duck, and the back was an
irridescent green...also like a wood duck. I concluded it was a mallard/wood
duck hybrid. Does anyone know if this even exists?

Alex Stark, Platteville