[wisb] McKinley Marina

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 18:23:59 -0600

 After Jim's post, we decided to give it a try. Nolan Pope, Jim Schwarz and I
got there at 11:45. Lots of gulls present. We could see an adult Lesser
Black-backed as we were getting out of the van. But when we got the scopes out
it was nowhere to be seen. We had 5 Thayer's (4 adults, 1 1st winter), 2 1st
winter glaucous.
 We went to North Point. Just the usual ducks. Then went behind Discovery
World. The young male Harlequin Duck swam right by us. Lots of gulls on the
distant breakwaters, by the opening. Most were facing us, so all we could tell
was that there were 3 adult Great Black-backed gulls. Not much in the river, so
we stopped back at McKinley. We only saw 1 Thayer's there this time. So we
headed back. Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.