[wisb] Manitowoc impoundment

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 15:18:31 -0500

I went over to the Manitowoc impoundment early this morning, before another
round of storms and heavy rain.  It was quite foggy by the lake, but 175+
Bonaparte's Gulls were lined up on the railings going out and along the
impoundment.  Among them was an adult LlTTLE GULL and shortly thereafter it was
joined by 2 nonadult birds flying over my head and calling.  Further out on the
impoundment while checking the flying and perched Bonie's I thought I saw a
nonadult BLACK-HEADED GULL.  While  I was trying to confirm id they all took
flight and I could not relocate it in the fog.  At the far end of the imp. a
Whimbrel was among the boulders in the fog.  In addition three species of terns
were present plus the standard gulls.  This is the best activity I have seen at
the impoundment in a long time---most enjoyable.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI