[wisb] Manitowoc and Sheboygan yesterday

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 16:22:48 -0500

Dan D., Jim S. and I went over to the big lake yesterday to look for unusual
gulls.  At Manitowoc, we picked through the hundreds of Bonaparte's and finally
found a Little Gull just off the beach on the north side of the walkway to the
impoundment.  It had a mostly-black head, although with an all-white "pate",
and a pretty dark carpal bar.  I did see it raise its wings at one point; they
were rounded and mostly dark underneath.  Also had several Common Terns there,
plus Caspians off the beach south of the ferry terminal.

We stopped briefly at the north unit of Fisher Creek Park and heard Mourning,
Black & White, Blue-winged and Chestnut-sided Warblers, plus Am. Redstarts and
Clay-colored Sparrows.

At Sheboygan, we scoped the beach from the concrete Pavilion deck, but couldn't
find anything unusual.  On one of the piers north of there, we saw a gorgeous
adult Franklin's Gull with a bright red bill.  Six feet away on the same pier
was a 1st-cycle Little Gull.  We had at least one of the Lesser Black-backs
that Tom Wood saw up on North Point (although we somehow missed Tom, even
though we must have been there around the same time.)  We also saw the Palm
Warbler, plus two Semipalmated Sandpipers.

On the way back, we stopped at the Hwy 45 wayside north of Fond du Lac and got
the Bell's Vireo right away.  We drove Lone Elm Rd. on the county line, then
headed south on Ridge Rd. (which parallels Hwy 41.)  At the intersection with
Lincoln Rd., Jim spotted two Cattle Egrets in a pasture to the east, so it pays
to check the whole area.  (Ridge Rd. runs into County N, which gives you access
to Hwy 41.)

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI