[wisb] Madison Common Redpoll (?) and RFI Zion Natl. Park, Utah Birding

  • From: Max Witynski <birdmax922@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 18:00:55 -0600

Wisbirders:
While spreading niger on the top of the snow for the juncos today, I heard a
goldfinch-like trill coming from the top of my birch tree.  I looked up and
at the very top was a whitish finch-sized bird with a dark head and stripes
down the front.  I had no binoculars, and it quickly flew away, but all
signs seem to point to my first redpoll this winter.  Also, I have just
found a photo taken on 2/14/08 of a white-throated sparrow under my
feeders.  I know they are known to winter in southern Wisconsin, but I just
wondered if other people frequently get them as late as February?

On a different note, I may have an opportunity to stay in a condo in St.
George, Utah, this spring break (end of March through beginning of April).
St. George is between Las Vegas and Zion National Park.  I have never been
birding in the south-west before, but I'm sure many people on this list have
been, and as the advice you all provided for Colorado last August was
excellent, I thought I'd ask again on the south-west Utah area.  My "target"
birds include pinyon jay, juniper titmouse, Grace's, Lucy's, MacGillivray's,
and Virginia's warblers (if it's not too early for them), Gambel's quail,
black phoebe, canyon, rock, and Bewick's wrens, cinnamon teal,
black-throated sparrow, and *especially* COSTA'S HUMMINGBIRD.

Thank you all in advance,
Max Witynski,
Madison, Dane