[wisb] Lower Mud Lake in McFarland this afternoon

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 16:37:06 -0500

After lunch today, I ran down to check the Yahara River widespread just north
of Stoughton, but there was very little there, so I didn't even get the scope
out.  I checked Lower Mud Lake from the south end off Riverholm Rd. -
waterproof footwear strongly recommended.  With the southerly wind, many of the
ducks were fairly close, and there are a lot of them.  Lots of Canvasback,
Ringnecks, L. Scaup, Widgeon (all Americans, unfortunately,) Gadwall, Common
and Hooded Mergs, C. Goldeneye, No. Shovelers, Buffleheads and a few scattered
Redheads (and tons of Coots, but just a few Canada Geese.) A Brown Creeper kept
me company as I walked back to the car.

I relocated to the north end of the lake at Legion Park (at the end of
Highland), where I spotted a few Green-winged Teal (FOY) out on the ice.  I
could not find any of the Pintails that Jim Otto told me he'd found there in
the morning.

In my yard, I'm still getting Juncos, Am. Tree Sparrows and Pine Siskins, but
the Redpolls seem to have moved on.  Just before I left for Mud Lake this
afternoon, a Cooper's Hawk dove down after a Junco, but I couldn't tell if it
was successful.  This morning, as I was unloading groceries from the car, I
heard an Eastern Bluebird calling, which was a new "yard" bird for me.  I'm not
sure where it was - the nearest suitable habitat for them is a couple of blocks
away, but not in the direction it was calling from.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.