[wisb] Lesser and Greater Scaup identification

  • From: Sidney Hamm <sidney.hamm@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 11:38:32 -0800 (PST)

Greetings to all,
I have gotten feedback from several of you concerning Lesser and Greater Scaup
identification. All but one of the Scaup photos were Greater Scaups with one
possibly a male Lesser Scaup. The web sites have been updated to reflect the
consensus. It turns out that there are few Lesser Scaup around Milwaukee in the
winter, with the majority being Greater. Also, the decision is based mainly on
top of head shape and not color or pattern. The decision on the male Lesser
Scaup is based on the top of head shape and less distinction on the blending of
the broard white stripe of the wing. The dull green or purple coloring to the
head doesn't seem to confirm whether it is Lesser or Greater in the winter. I
will have to wait until spring or summer to see more Lesser Scaup to see better
the differences.

Thanks you all for your comments and viewing the photos. This is one of the
reasons for putting the bird photos on a web site.

Sid hamm    Muskego    Waukesha County