[wisb] Lake park/Bradford Beach Milwaukee

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:10:47 -0500

Hello,

I took a walk through Lake Park and then to Bradford Beach to look for
the Harlequin Duck this afternoon.

Lake Park was busy, but mostly Yellow Rumped Warblers - probably 50 at
least.  A few Hermit thrushes, both Kinglets, Winter Wrens, a
nashville Warbler, a Blackpoll Warbler, probably 30 Juncos and 3 White
Crowned Sparrows.

At Bradford Beach I was unlucky and did NOT find the Harlequin Duck. I
spent about an hour walking around the area just north of Bradford
Beach and also checked out the new prairie area on the beach.  While
looking unsuccessfully for the Harlequin Duck I found other cool
stuff.  on the beach I found a Rusty Blackbird and an American Pipit
within 5 feet of each other.  In the beach/prairie grass area I found
2 Clay Colored Sparrows, 2 American Tree Sparrows and a Song Sparrow.

Overall, not a bad day, but disappointed that I missed the Harlequin
Duck...there's always tomorrow!  Pretty funny how a few hours can
change what you see or don't see - no Scoters either.

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County