[wisb] Horicon today (Snowy Egret)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 21:11:45 -0500

Persistence paid off - after checking every egret I could see along Hwy 49
through Horicon Marsh nearly every Sunday for the last four months, I finally
found a Snowy Egret late this afternoon.  I was scoping the shorebirds towards
the east end when a flock of a dozen or so Am. Golden Plovers flew from the
south (Dodge Co.) side to the north (Fond du Lac Co.) side of 49.  I turned the
scope around and started scanning the north side shorebirds, finding a juve LB
Dowitcher.  As I looked around, I spotted a small-looking egret flying low
through the cattails.  When it banked up into the sunlight, I could see the
yellow feet and dark bill.  It landed where I could scope it, as well.  This
was along the channel that runs north from the round water-control structure on
the north side of 49, east of the trees.

On my way up to Oshkosh this morning, I had gone first to Dike Rd., but there
were lots of cars and not many birds close to the road, so I quickly abandoned
that plan and went down Northern Rd.   There were a lot of birds flushing off
the road by the woods, so I got out and walked the road for a half-hour or so.
Many Yellow-rumps and Kinglets, with at least one or two Golden-crowned among
the Rubies.  Also had single Am. Redstart, stubby-tailed Magnolia, and the
surprise, a fairly colorful Cape May, plus a couple of Hermit Thrushes and a YB
Sapsucker.

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI