[wisb] Lake Park, Milwaukee - New lifer mammal, two new BIGBY birds, nice migrants

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 16:05:26 -0700 (PDT)

After a couple of weeks of (unexpected) fall doldrums, I finally had a nice day
in Milwaukee's Lake Park. Fair number of migrants, two new birds to add to my
2011 walking BIGBY list, and a new lifer mammal species.

I also noticed a new interpretive sign in Lake Park regarding the North Point
Lighthouse. Apparently Milwaukee's North Point is called North Point because it
marks the "north point" of Milwaukee Bay.

* Here's a photo of the lighthouse:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6154299810/in/photostream

* Here's a photo of the interpretive sign:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6154301154/in/photostream

More highlights:

* The last thing I expected on today's visit to Lake Park was to add a new
mammal to my life list. Seems like it's been ages since I've been able to do
that. I was working my way south along the top of the lake bluff, looking for
migrants. Then a squirrel hopped off of a tree trunk and sat in the grass
briefly before scampering into the brush of the lake bluff. By the time I had
my camera out of my pocket, the squirrel was gone. Smaller than a Grey
Squirrel. Reddish fur with white underneath. Didn't know there were Red
Squirrels on Milwaukee's eastside. Pretty cool!!

* Gray-cheeked Thrush. Walking BIGBY species #196 for 2011.
* Veery. Walking BIGBY species #197 for 2011.
* Swainson's Thrush
* Hermit Thrush
* Wood Thrush
* Ruby-crowned Kinglet. Three birds.