[wisb] L. Bittern calls--results

  • From: Alyssa DeRubeis <tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 21:13:18 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks to all who responded to my inquiry earlier. Of the nine responses I
received, here were the "votes":
Pied-billed Grebe: 4
Black-billed Cuckoo: 2
Virginia Rail: 1
Green Heron: 1
Least Bittern: 1

When I saw all the suggestions for Pied-billed Grebe, I realize that I didn't
even mention that in my original post! To clarify, I've heard many Pied-billed
Grebes, and this vocalization did not have the explosive and decelerating
quality of a grebe. It did not have the rail tone to its voice either; it
wasn't high strung or fast enough to resemble a rail. I've also heard Green
Herons doing their knocking call, which I find to be faster and less deliberate
(if you will) than the mystery call of mine. Black-billed Cuckoos usually sing
their song many times in a row, and not once every thirty-ish seconds, which is
what "my" bird was doing. This song was also very slow and even-paced for a
bird song, which is what threw me off. I'm wondering if I was only able to hear
part of the song? Maybe I was missing some introductory notes of some weird
alternate Black-billed Cuckoo or Least Bittern vocalization? I guess if I were
forced to give this vocalization an identification, I would still say Least
Bittern. But because I remain uncertain, I probably won't eBird it. Sigh.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.