[wisb] Blue Grosbeak continues (Sauk Co.)

  • From: Alyssa DeRubeis <tiger150@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 21:23:19 +0000 (UTC)

I heard the Blue Grosbeak at 10:40am today, but did not when I revisited the
site at 1:20pm. He was at the previously described location, which is the
field to the northeast of Pearl Road on the western portion of the Spring
Green Nature Preserve. He was quite distant though, and I was unable to
actually see him. The song itself is distinctive enough that I am 100%
certain of my auditory identification. It would be neat if someone was able to
confirm breeding for these birds, as it seems that there are two males and a
female based on previous posts. That would be a great record...just saying...
;)

I explored the public, eastern portion of the preserve. Nothing unexpected,
although I did hear a Henslow's Sparrow singing away, which surprised me a
little. "Wisconsin's Desert" doesn't seem to have the lush prairie and high
litter content that I associate with this species, but the bird was singing
from less barren area of the preserve (down in the valley before the trail
switches from running east to north). I also found a Lark Sparrow nest with
three Lark Sparrow eggs, but given the proximity to the trail, I fear that the
bird will abandon the nest due to repeated human distrubance. An Orchard Oriole
was singing nearby too.

Good birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Stevens Point, Portage Co.