[wisb] King Eider

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 15:15:05 -0600

I just got in from raking the lawn----again!!---after getting back
from Milwaukee.  The King Eider is so close to the walk it is
unreal.  It certainly is soooo much easier to see than when Tom had
it on Fri and I on Sat at Kohler?Andrae SP with the rough lake.  As
Tom mentioned this undoubtedly is the bird that was there those two
days.  It was actively feeding and then occasionally sleeping for
short periods all the time I, and others, were there.  (I parked by
Veterans Memorial and walked south to where the eider is---free
parking!)
North Pt had 3 Surf and 2 Black Scoters, plus a flyby Red-necked
Grebe.  (Several Horned Grebes were swimming around where the eider
was.)

What a fun hour viewing that bird at such close range, and with the
other birders!  (I was there from about 9 to about 10.)

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI