[wisb] Kewaunee Little Gull

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 20:36:53 -0600

A first summer Little Gull was in the Harbor at Kewaunee around noon
today.

To help find this bird look among the Bonaparte's Gulls for one with a
faded dark hood, especially faded around the bill, with pale back and
contrasting black wing when on the water.  In the air the very broad
dark bar across the wing in a V shape is noticeable.  Bright orange feet
are a good clue too.  It's smaller size and small bill are best seen
when next to a Bonaparte's if it's at a distance (which it was today).
Little Gulls in this plumage lack the dark under wing.

Kewaunee also has plenty on Bonaparte's (750), Common Tern 47, Caspian
Tern 23, Great Black-backed Gull and three Red-breasted Mergansers.

Manitowoc action was exclusive to the the Dredge Pond and the Waldo
Ponds.  The Dredge Pond had a good large mix of Terns, gulls, waterfowl
and shorebirds though no unusual species.  I could not find a Little
Gull, nor Franklin's Gull, there.  Waldo had 45 Dunlin and a few Semi Sands.

The LS&F Pond had Caspian Tern 4, Dunlin 18, Semipalmated Sandpiper 4
and White-rumped Sandpiper.

Hika Bay had four Common Loons the most I've seen on Michigan since March.

Sheboygan still held the Iceland Gull and many Herring and Ring-billed
Gulls.

Joe Schaufenbuel
5676 Regent St.
Stevens Point
Portage County, WI 54481
(715) 345-2788

'Eureka!' (I found it) but 'That's funny...'"
--Isaac Asimov