[wisb] Kenosha Common Redpolls at Bong and Racine Snow Bunting

  • From: Jennifer Wenzel <miloloki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 12:39:32 -0600

Hi All,

After digging out this morning and missing out on some early lakefront
birding because of the snow, I decided to head out to Bong Rec. Area in
Kenosha around 9:30 to see if the Solitaire might be lingering around
still. No luck with that, although no reason it couldn't still be
around, I suppose.

The feeders around the main building at Bong were very active,
especially with the fresh layer of snow everywhere. There were pretty
big flocks of PINE SISKINS, TREE SPARROWS, and JUNCOS as well as a few
COMMON REDPOLLS coming to the feeders with other usual suspects. I was
rather amused that as I was watching these winter birds, I heard the
small flock of RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS singing at the feeders behind the
main building! Can't say that's happened before! There was also my FOY
GRACKLE amongst the blackbirds.

On the way home from there, I scoured through a few hundred HORNED LARKS
along 55th Drive and 59th Drive in Racine (south of Spring Street and
west of the freeway). I was able to pick out a handful of LAPLAND
LONGSPURS and a SNOW BUNTING there with a little patience. Probably
could have found a few more Buntings if I would have taken the time....

Last weekend at Nicholson WLA in Racine, I spotted my FOY SANDHILL CRANES.

Good Birding,
Jenny Wenzel
Racine Co.