[wisb] Junco Question

  • From: Petherick Chris <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird List Wisconsin Bird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:36:27 -0600

Hello,

I have had two juncos coming to my yard the past week that are
slightly different than the typical junco.  They have gray "hoods"
however the rest of the body is a brown with the white belly.  There
is not a major contrast from hood to body, however it is noticeable.
With the gray days and my lack of a great camera I have not been able
to get any good pictures yet.  My question is whether or not these
would be considered Oregon species of Junco.  I have the more typical
dark eyed and slate colored juncos and these two birds are certainly
different.  However, as I said there isn't a great contrast, but it's
noticeable.  If you have access to BNA, it does look similar to the
female Oregon pictured there, however the contrast is probably
slightly less than what is shown in BNA.

My second question would be how typical is it that there would be an
Oregon Junco in the Milwaukee area?

Thanks!

Chris Petherick
Fox Point, Northeastern Milwaukee County