[wisb] Re: Johnson Creek landfill gulls, 12/29/14

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:30:52 -0600

Yesterday, I sorted through the gulls on the piers at McKinley Marina while
I was birding Veterans Park in Milwaukee. As Jym mentioned, there was not a
lot of variety and one first winter Thayer's Gull and a Great Black-backed
Gull were the only unusual gulls seen. Suddenly, all the gulls took to the
air and I began looking for the predator or boat which might have caused
this disturbance. At first, I could not determine what caused this panic,
but after several minutes I spotted an adult Bald Eagle soaring high and
quite distant, identifiable only with binoculars. "Eagle-eye" has long been
a metaphor for a person with exceptional vision, but this incident gave me
an appreciation for the excellent eyesight of gulls. As Jym, Dave, Jeremy,
and Mike have reported, landfills are the best places to see large numbers
of gulls, and undoubtedly our offal has contributed to the success of the
larid family, but having such great vision certainly must have contributed
to their abundance.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County