[wisb] Re: Johnson Creek landfill gulls, 12/29/14

  • From: Mike Wanger <misterwanger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dhfreriks@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:24:58 -0600

Dave and all,
I've been to that dump several times -- seeing a couple of thousand gulls
circling above can be a beautiful sight. There are untold starlings and
usually a couple of red-tails and a baldy hanging about. I've only tried
scoping a few feet up Hwy 145 from Brown Deer Rd and would say that it's
hit and miss. The distance is a tad far, and the smorgasbord layers of late
have grown to a height that obscures viewings from the road. Still, it's a
great exercise if your brain can unscramble a constantly-shifting "where's
Waldo". If anyone can find a better angle, please share.

Much better viewing of the troops can be had at Northridge Lakes where the
gulls like to flop down and burp after a good meal. Best viewing is likely
from N 70th Street just north of Brown Deer Road in Milwaukee.

Happy gulling,
Mike Wanger
Milwaukee