[wisb] Jaegerfesters - check the Germann Road Fire area?

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 13:22:14 -0600

Folks heading up to Jaegerfest next week might want to detour over to the
Germann Road Fire that burned in Douglas County this past spring. This was a
huge burn that included a lot of pine and has as good a potential as anywhere
to attract Black-backed Woodpeckers. A few birders checked it out
(unsuccessfully) back in summer but I've heard no recent reports of anyone even
looking there. On the up side, odds of finding them probably improve with time
given the chance for dispersing youngsters and fall migrants this time of year.
On the down side, a great deal of salvage logging took place and I have no idea
how much timber is still standing. I'd think given how big the burn was there
must be some if not plenty of pines left.

Perhaps some folks who spent time watching Black-backeds at the nearby Simms
Lake Burn years ago could comment on their favorite strategies for finding the
birds?

Here's a detail map of the burned area:
http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/ForestFire/documents/GermannFireMap.pdf

And here's a link to a dynamic google map giving locational context. The burn
is in Douglas County south of Brule and east of Solon Springs:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=46.353148,-91.609068&hl=en&num=1&t=h&z=14

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady