[wisb] If you feed them, they will come!!

  • From: "Chari Rutledge" <charir@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Door County Birdnet" <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 10:07:12 -0600

I went birding around the Island yesterday with some friends and we saw
virtually nothing except a few ducks and chickadees.  The birding at my home
was 100% better.  I had 16 species at the house.  They were all the usually
winter residents, including downy, hairy, redbellied and pileated wood peckers,
large flocks of redpolls and now siskins.  We have seven feeders filled around
the house, hence "If you feed them, they will come!"  Today as I was filling
one of the feeders with black oil sunflower I had a mixed flock of siskins,
redpolls and chickadees come in.  I put my hand out with some seed and had
siskins and a chickadee come in to sit on my fingers.  The siskins are so tame.
 Another came in and foraged in the can of seed I was holding and the whole
flock settled around my feet and worked on the seed I had scattered on the
ground.  There was also a raven calling in the woods nearby.  What a thrill!
It is a beautiful sunny day on the Island.  One of the few we have had since
November.  I took a long walk alone yesterday afternoon along Green Bay Road
and except for a few woodpeckers and a chickadee or two I heard absolutely
nothing.  I'll walk again today and see if this sunshine brings anything else
out.

Chari Rutledge
Death's Door
Washington Island