[wisb] Horicon Marsh egrets and bitterns on Sunday

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:11:47 -0500

After whiffing on the Painted Bunting yesterday morning, I briefly
stopped at the Mascoutin Valley Trail wetland just east of there, but
didn't see any ibises in a less-than-thorough check.

On my way home from Oshkosh in the late afternoon, I stopped at Horicon
Marsh and went for a hike on the Old Marsh Rd.  Went from the Auto Tour
end out past the island and nearly to the bend in the road.  As Tom Wood
noted, there are a lot of Great Egrets out there, but I didn't see the
Snowy he had on Saturday.  A group of five Black-crowned Night Herons
came in together as I walked back to the car, and I finally saw a Least
Bittern, which flew as far as I've ever seen one from the north side to
well south of the road along one of the channels.  Also heard an
American Bittern "ook-a-loonking" away.

I stopped to chat with a gentleman who was hanging out by the red rock
at the end of the Egret Trail with his camera.  I asked if he'd seen any
Least Bitterns, but he was still looking for one.  As we talked, one
flew by behind him.  He at least got to see it, but no time for
photos... so it goes...

I hung out on Hwy 49 a couple hundred yards east of the pumphouse for
about half an hour just before sunset.  There were a lot of egrets on
the north side, and I figured maybe I'd get lucky with a Snowy as they
took off to gather for the evening roost in the marsh interior. I did
see an Am. Bittern fly quite a ways on the south side, but no Snowy
Egrets.  The most interesting thing I saw was a Great Egret with
incredibly long plumes that trailed well beyond its feet as it flew.  It
took me a moment to realize what it was, they stuck out so far.

I keep forgetting to mention something that may be of interest to
out-of-state birders or others planning a long-distance visit to Horicon
Marsh.  There is a new motel being built at the intersection of Hwys 151
and 49 in Waupun - I believe an AmericInn.  Looks to be well on its way
to being finished, so should be ready in time for the fall migration.
That will supplement the somewhat meager lodging choices in the
immediate area.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI