[wisb] Horicon Marsh & A/151 pond

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2013 14:53:29 -0500

After church I headed for Horicon Marsh and then the A/151 pond.  14 shorebird
species were seen along the north side of Hwy 49 that included 5 Golden
Plovers, 2 Black-necked Stilts, 1 White-rumped and 10 Baird's Sandpipers, 1
Stilt Sandpiper, 1 Buff-br. Sandpiper and 4 Red-necked Phalaropes.  The water
is rapidly dropping on the north side and could be gone in a few days, if the
dry conditions persist.
The A/151 north of Beaver Dam is likewise almost dry.  10 shorebird species
were seen that included a Baird's Sandpiper and both dowitchers.  This too
probably will be dry in a few days, unless much needed rain arrives.

When I rechecked along 49 about 2 hours later (early afternoon) there were far
fewer shorebirds then earlier.  Looks like morning is the better time.  Good
luck.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI