[wisb] Horicon Marsh - 5/17 - Dike and Ledge Roads

  • From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:32:26 -0500

The first birds I spotted were six Cattle Egrets near the cattle pen at the
corner of Ledge Road and County Road Z.  The 3-4 Black-necked Stilts were
still present along Dike Road, as well as plenty of rails.  There calls
almost drowned out everything else but the Cranes.
The most surprising sighting of the day though, was about an hour before
sunset.  Two large shorebirds were flying around that same pond, and would
not land where I could see them.  I followed their flight, however, and saw
that they had a buff, rusty colored breast, a definite white rump, and a
white stripe down the middle of the wing.  When taking into account the size
and shape of the bird, the only bird I concluded this could be is a
Hudsonian Godwit.  If someone else has seen these same birds, please chime
in.  I would really appreciate some more opinions.

Tim Hahn
Milwaukee, WI

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.