[wisb] Horicon Marsh 11/6

  • From: Chris Petherick <cpetherick@xxxxxx>
  • To: 'wisbirdnet wisbirdnet' <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 16:14:50 -0600

Hello,

Yes, the Ibis is present today.  I feel that it is a juvenile White Faced
Ibis due to the very uniform coloration of the body.  While on 49 I ran into
Darryl Tesson, who informed me that body coloration may not be the best way
to ID a juvenile Ibis.  His preliminary viewing of it today led him to
believe it was a White Faced Ibis as well, but he was going to do more work
on it.  I don't want to speak for him, however, so hopefully he will post
his thoughts on this Ibis later today.  Also - I saw 2 Widgeon, one that
looked as though it MIGHT be a Eurasian Widgeon.  Unfortunately, while I was
there I didn't think anything of it, but now that I am going through my
book, I wish I had looked closer at this.  AS I think back on it, the head
had the white marking of the widgeon, but I don't recall that the marking
was a clear cut white streak with the green eye marking and the darker
facial coloring.  It seems as though it had the white marking with the more
reddish face of the Eurasion.  The bird was on the south side of 49 on a
small mudflat just as you get into the open water if you are going west on
49.  It's maybe a half mile before the pump house.  I have no idea why I
didn't take a closer, or second, look at it.  I must have had Inca Dove,
Vermillion Flycatcher, ST Flycatcher, Kittiwake and Red Phalarope on the
brain (and maybe even Ibis!!).  So if anyone's there it's worth taking a
look for.

Other birds seen today:

Ruddy Ducks

Shovelers