[wisb] Re: Hoary Redpoll - yard bird! (Ashland Co.)

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 19:55:57 -0800 (PST)

Steve, there was a bit of wash on the upper breast, but it was buff and not at
all pink, so I think that rules out a male. The secondaries/tertials do seem to
have less white than is typically illustrated - I'm not sure what the variation
in that feature though I've seen pictures of clear Hoaries where this area was
fairly dark, and that may change with how the wings are held.  Because this
bird seemed to be lacking brown tones other than the buff on the upper breast,
and was lacking pink entirely, if you made me choose I'd call this an adult
female, but I don't claim to be an expert.

Ryan and I were discussing how misleading one photo can be on Hoaries or
suspected Hoaries, especially with regard to apparent bill shape and also the
amount of streaking on the undertail coverts. Some of my photos make this bird
look like the undertail coverts were completely unstreaked, but other photos
show that it did have one streak.

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI

Subject: Re: Hoary Redpoll - yard bird! (Ashland Co.)
From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen AT charter.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 20:07:34 -0600

I'm glad to see the pics from up north. It's a great learning tool. What
sex and age do you (and Ryan) think it is. Almost looks as if it has a
slight wash on the upper breast. Also interesting is that the tertails and
flight feathers have no white on the edges. It make you realize that a
female Hoary is very hard to write up if you miss anything. Atleast for me.
I really suck at it, but working on getting better. Steve Thiessen Stoughton
Dane co.