[wisb] Re: Greatest Birder?

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 16:35:13 -0500

Peterson certainly had the biggest impact on me personally, as I was
self-taught through his field guides. But, if we go back a little further,
before I started birding, I would have to nominate Ludlow Griscom. He,
despite resistance from his contemporaries, proved and promoted the fact
that birds could be identified by field marks, and that it was unnecessary
to have the bird in hand to determine its identification. He was a major
influence on Roger Tory Peterson and probably the inspiration for his field
guides. If birders had to shoot birds and identify them in the hand today,
"birding" would be limited to scientific collectors.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County