[wisb] Great-black-backed gull, Dane co. landfill

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 01:05:10 -0600

It maybe a common gull along parts of Lake Michigan, but it's a very good
county bird inland. This was a 1st winter gull. Also seen was an adult Lesser
Black-backed (looked the same as the one last year), adult Glaucous and a 1st
winter Thayer's/ Kumlein's. I couldn't tell from underneath.
 They must have been dumping in the lower area. Alot of herring gulls sitting
on the hillside, but nothing interesting with them. The GBB was on the lower
edge and I got great views. It flew over the edge and I didn't see it again.
After the dump closed I went to the road just west. For some reason all the
gulls that were in the pit came out and that's when I saw the rest of the good
gulls. The're may have been more good ones ,but I watched the glaucous to long
and missed checking part of the flock. I imagine the GBB came out then. All of
these gulls headed toward Waubesa. There isn't much open water left on Waubesa.
 Lots of waterfowl off Olin boat landing, on Lake Monona. Lake Mendota had
around 240 Tundra Swans.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Daneco.