[wisb] Goose Island & Buena Vista

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 19:56:51 -0500

I spent mid morning until this evening birding Goose Island CP in La Crosse,
with a side detour to Buena Vista Grasslands on the way home.
Goose Island had 13 duck species,  including 8 Blue-winged Teal, 1 Great Egret
and 1 Caspian Tern ( the latter was sitting with Ring-billed Gulls on a sand
bar in the river).  Thanks to Chris, Pete and Dan for their prior help with
other things.  The strong wind made it a real challenge!  And it was much
stronger by the time I got to Buena Vista.

At Buena Vista Grasslands, I was pleased to find 4 Gr. Prairie Chickens feeding
in a field along Cty W (west side) a little north of the tower, and south of
Prairie Chicken Rd.  Also had a N. Shrike along W by the first farm beyond Taft
Rd.  A Brewer' s Blackbird was feeding with other blackbirds at the farm.  Also
found a W. Meadowlark along Cty F.   When I drove by the field with the
chickens on the was back to I-39, they were no longer visible.  Initial viewing
was between about 4:30 and 4:45 p.m.

68 species for the day, including several snow squalls along I-39 that produced
white out conditions for several minutes.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI