[wisb] Glaucous Gull - Door County

  • From: "Sue Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 13:32:55 -0600

There was a GLAUCOUS GULL in Fish Creek’s harbor this mid-morning. It was on
the partial ice formed around Fish Creek’s pier with about 12 Herring Gulls,
all vying for a chance at the few fish parts on the edges of the ice. The
Glaucous Gull was larger than any of other birds, and probably a 1st year
(Ivory colored and bi-colored bill) but it dominated the pecking order for
food.
Also seen were Mallards, Lesser Scaup, 2 Canvasback, a few Redheads, and two
Horned Grebes. A mature Bald Eagle flew overhead, circling once, causing havoc
for a few minutes among the ducks and gulls but then they settled back on the
ice or water.

The Glaucous Gull sighting was a first for me, (yes!), one of my now ex-nemesis
birds.

Sue Peterson
Door County