[wisb] Forwarded message - Harlequin Ducks at Washington Island

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "WISBIRDN" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2009 08:26:47 -0600

This is a message forwarded from Sandy Peterson, who is not currently on
Wisbird:

Last Saturday November 28, 2009, Margaret Young, Conrad McDonald and I were
birding at the Potato Dock (private) on Washington Island and we discovered
3 female (imm?) Harlequin Ducks.  We did get some photos and I'm sending a
couple.  Margaret has been back with several other people and they found
five of these birds today.

In addition, there were the usual winter ducks on the Door last week-end
including Long-tailed, Goldeneye, Bufflehead, Mergansers, etc and dabblers
(Wigeon, Gadwall, Mallards, etc) in good numbers on the east side off Hog
Island.  Two small flocks of Snow Buntings were also observed.

Sandy-Ursula Petersen, Dane and Door counties

(She attached two photos that she took on Nov. 28, 2009 at Washington Island
WI, each of which I believe shows three female-plumaged Harlequin Ducks.)

Tom Schultz
Green Lake, WI