[wisb] Fly-by alert, and Big day results

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 07:20:45 -0700 (PDT)

   Hey everyone, I don't have enough time for a full length account of my day
Saturday, but things were anything but awesome!   First off, I finally obtained
a long-time waiting sighting of RAVEN here in Winn. Co., seen at the Rush Lake
area !!   2ndly,  the flyby mentioned had to have been a NEOTROPIC
CORMORANT.     4 cormorants flew over my count area, one of them noticeably
smaller and less stocky, but still in adult plumage, yet not close enough to
get any facial features.

  I took on 2 counts,  the Big day and our local bird club count.  I got 67
measly species for my area, but an astounding 108 for my travels just thru the
county.  Highlights inc. those 2 aforementioned,  10 sparrows, inc. 5
claycolors and 1 Lincoln's,  11 Am. Pipits and a titmouse.   Only 13 sp. of
warblers and no vireos.

  So for the county, I went from 89 sps.  Friday to 125 as of yesterday!

  Had a great day, good luck to the rest.  As far as the cormorant sighting
goes, it flew west from central Winn. Co., just in case someone may see it.
  Paul Bruce, Oshkosh