[wisb] Re: E-bird question

  • From: "Cynthia Bridge" <cynthiabridge@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>, "'wisbirdn'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 19:20:56 -0600

Nick can you talk a bit more about reporting at a "fine scale" and how the
hotspots play into this?  I was told recently that where possible one should
try to enter birds in the predefined hotspots as opposed to creating
multiple personal locations for an existing hotspot. For example, when
recently birding the forest roads in Forest Co., I could have entered our
sightings for Divide Rd. (for example) in a fairly exact "personal location"
where the majority of the birds were observed or select the hotspot (which
by the way comes up in the middle of a bog closer to Giant Pine instead of
along the actual road).  I selected the hotspot based on Tom Prestby's
advice to enter data by hotspots where available even though the hotspot
mark on the map was not as precise as a point I could have created as a
"personal location." Is this the correct thing to do?

Cynthia Bridge
 Fort Atkinson, Jefferson Co.