[wisb] East of Lake Winnebago and Horicon

  • From: Mark Hodgson <mjhodgso@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:25:12 -0500

Seeing an eBird report of a K Rail and LE Owl in one place, I decided to
check it out on Friday 9/14.  I also noticed there were 3 nearby
shorebird spots on the 2013 Wisconsin Shorebirding Locations map at
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210938529045015584872.0004e18e3115850023110&msa=0

<https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=210938529045015584872.0004e18e3115850023110&msa=0>
First stop was pre-dawn at Manitowoc R marshes - Hwy HH crossing
43.9157925,-88.2428741 -- no luck on either rail or owl in 2 hours, just
the soft grinding of the distant wind turbine.
Next stop was from the map: Brillion SWA - Conservation Rd. Flowage at
44.168707,-88.124686.  The description contained "Park in any of the two
eastern parking areas on Conservation Road (North of impoundment).
Managed drawdown to increase emergent vegetation and expose mud flats
for migrating shorebirds and waterfowl this fall. Water will be slowly
put back on as hunting season approaches." There was no water or mud
visible from the road and there were no visible trails in from the lots
and someone was shooting a gun nearby.  I decided not to stand my ground
and bushwack through the dewy grass to an unknown location.
Next stop was also from the map: Manitowoc River - Collins Rd
44.081096,-87.989686.  Here there were shorebirds working the rocks in
the shallow water: both yellowlegs and Least, mostly Pectoral, Stilt,
and Solitary Sandpipers, and 1 very pale dowitcher.  They were near the
bridge until a walker came by.  Then they flew a few hundred feet away,
but after a few minutes, some returned.  When a runner came by, I left.
Next stop was also from the map: Killsnake SWA - Aebischer Flowage
44.044275,-88.094925.  The description contained "From the parking area,
travel north by foot approximately 1/3 mile."  Doing that gets you
walled in by corn in 1/8 mile.  Looking at the map now, I see I should
have bushwacked up the drainage a bit farther west, but with no trail
and no water or mud visible from the road, I remained lazy.
I went to Hwy 49 in Horicon Marsh on the way home.  It was as previously
described.  I saw mostly Pectorals, a few Baird's, 2 Sanderlings.
The pond at Hwy A x Hwy 151 north of Beaver Dam is dry and has been tilled.
Mark Hodgson
Madison