[wisb] Eagle Concentrations South of La Crosse reply to post

  • From: bill askme <faithful_falcon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:47:31 -0800 (PST)

Last weekend, I and my wife went to Lock and Dam 13 and saw well over 100
birds. They were very active early morning, with many taking fish just below
the dam. There is a very nice raised observation deck so you can see over the
locks. If they are fishing and flying, it is not unusual to have birds fly 200
feet from you. Most stay farther away, but many of them will fly right over
your head, or do a fly by, that will take your breath away, if you have never
seen an eagle flying at that range.

http://www.mvr.usace.army.mil/missriver/eagle%20watching/Eagle%20Count%202012.htm#Lock_and_Dam_13,_Fulton_IL

I have provided a link to the eagle counts at 13, along with many others, that
are posted each Wednesday by the Army Corp of Engineers.  Normally I find their
numbers very accurate, but there counts did not make any sense to me,  as we
saw at least 100 by the dam, and many others in
 the general area. Perhaps as many as 200 birds. One can view an eagle nest in
a tree not to far off the road leading to the dam as well. If you need any
additional information please feel free to email me directly

Happy Birding

William Joers
Colgate Wisconsin.