[wisb] Deer Ticks/Lyme Disease in Southern KMSF

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:16:05 -0600

I was talking with Nolan Pope on the way to Sheboygan today.  He'd been to a
lecture at the UW Arboretum on Thursday that was partly about the incidence of
Deer Ticks and the prevalance of Lyme Disease in certain areas.  Wisconsin is a
hotspot (apparently they've now found deer ticks in the UW Arboretum - joy.)
Anyway, what surprised him was that one of the highest infection rates they've
found so far is in deer ticks in the So. Kettle Moraine - around 50% incidence!
 Neither of us had heard anything about this, but I thought word should get out
so that folks can be aware that they really need to be prepared when hiking
there.  Wear long pants (preferably light-colored nylon - easier to see the
little buggers, and nylon is a little harder for them to cling to.)  Use
repellent with DEET in it, or get the pants that have repellent embedded in it.

With Spring apparently just around the corner, it's not too early to start
thinking about this.  I've known people who contracted Lyme Disease, and it can
be completely debillitating if not caught early.  Let's be careful out there...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.