[wisb] 10 raptor species and spring arrivals-- Lower WI River

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 20:17:34 -0600

Aaron Stutz, Peter Bridge, and I birded the Wisconsin River corridor in Sauk,
Iowa, and Columbia Counties today. It was a beautiful day and spring was
certainly in the air. We started at Bakken's Pond near Spring Green where we
did not see the Ross's Geese. The 25+ Trumpeter Swans were present as well as 4
Pintail with the Mallards, Canada Geese, and Goldeneye. A calling Sandhill
Crane flew downriver, always a welcome first sighting of the year. Then, Aaron
went to work. He called out that he had a distant eagle over the Iowa County
bluffs to the south that looked different. It was really far away but because
it was holding its wings in a slight V, was all dark, and had long thin wings
with a very small head, we were comfortable that it was a Golden. A little
later, he spotted an interesting hawk to the west flying north. We were able to
study it for a short time before it got lost over the trees. We could tell it
was a large and robust accipiter with a long tail and deep slow wingbeats. A
better look would have been nice but we feel this was a Northern Goshawk.

After watching about 70 Lapland Longspurs on Dyke Road west of Spring Green, we
headed down into the ridges of northern Iowa County. We didn't find any Golden
Eagles but highlights were a singing Northern Shrike and 3 Sandhill Cranes on
Upper Wyoming Road and 4 Red-headed Woodpeckers and our only Rough-legged Hawk
of the day on High Point Rd. A flyover Merlin was a nice surprise but the
nearby Titmice were not happy about its presence. We then worked our way toward
Arena Boat Landing, spotting a Sharp-shinned Hawk in Spring Green which
continued our good raptor streak. Curiously, we refound the Trumpeter Swans
from Bakken's in a random corn field along Cty C SW of Spring Green. The boat
landing itself was dead so we tried the marsh overlook on the deadend road to
the east of the boat landing. As we were watching a shrike, Aaron worked his
magic again and said that he was watching a likely Golden Eagle. It didn't take
long to realize that it was certainly a subadult Golden and unlike the earlier
uncooperative bird at Bakken's, this one worked its way towards us. It banked
and circled in the sun multiple times, a great view through the scope.

Continuing east, we worked Lake Wisconsin next. We hoped for gulls at Okee Bay
but the limited open water only had Bald Eagles, Canada Geese and Common
Mergansers. However, the Hwy V causeway at Whalen Grade was much better.
Hundreds of geese included 2 Greater White-fronteds and 3 Pintail, 5 Redhead,
and 30+ Gadwall were the duck highlights. A male Northern Harrier was seen and
Peter spotted a perched Cooper's Hawk, our tenth raptor species of the day and
completing the rare accipiter slam!

With the remaining daylight, we headed over to Goose Pond via Arlington. 6
Trumpeter Swans were feeding in a corn field along Hwy 60 just west of
Arlington and in town we easily found 23 Eurasian Collared-Doves. It's amazing
how their population seems to have exploded here between last year and this
year. As we neared Goose Pond at dusk it was obvious that a significant goose
movement was underway. We watched groups constantly fly over until dark, a
total of about 5 thousand geese. The only different ones we could ID were about
10 Cackling Geese. Also at Goose Pond in the fading light was a falcon that was
probably our second Merlin of the day.

A great day to be out. The signs of spring are certainly becoming more numerous!

Tom Prestby
Madison