[wisb] Crex Meadows Sandhills

  • From: Andrew Birch <andrewlbirch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 13:40:20 -0600

Hello All,
Sorry for the late post, but this past weekend while visiting family I was
able to sneak away pre-dawn to Crex Meadows.  My goal was to find a Snowy
Owl, but upon arrival I was surprised to hear a large SANDHILL CRANE roost
in the distance.  It seems late for this many cranes.  I set up just north
of Phantom Lake and waited for the sun to illuminate the birds.  Here is a
short video of some of the scenes - http://vimeo.com/32773071  The final
shot in the video shows a small section of the birds that were left after
watching them leave in small groups for a bout an hour and a half.

I didn't find the Snowy Owl I was after (perhaps the only person in WI that
didn't see one) but I did find and photograph a SHARP-TAILED GROUSE in a
small Oak along East Refuge Rd.

Good Birding,

Andrew Birch
Pequot Lakes, MN