[wisb] Re: Counting after the fact birds

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:14:42 -0500

I'm with Jesse, Greg and Danny on this one.  As Jesse points out, there are
different levels here - yes, an unusual sighting should definitely be
reported/recorded (such as to eBird or this listserv,) even if "discovered"
after the fact.  However, if you're submitting a "Year" or "Life" list to an
entity such as WSO or ABA, you should be playing by the same rules as everyone
else.  The ABA has a set of such rules (see www.aba.org(http://www.aba.org) -
look under the "Birder Resources" tab for links to the Big Day rules, which
pretty much apply here, also.)  Rule Four states:

(4) Diagnostic field-marks for the bird, sufficient to identify to species,
must have been seen and/or heard and/or

documented by the recorder at the time of the encounter.

(although note that they don't specifically address photography. It's apparent
from the context that they seem to be referring to field notes/sketches. They
do address the subject of confirming rarities via photographs elsewhere.)

Personally, I wouldn't count a species on my year or state or life lists unless
I had IDed it to my satisfaction while observing it, or after dispelling any
lingering doubts through checking a field guide or online resource later.  IF I
had a camera with me and took a photo of that particular bird because I was
pretty sure it was something different/rare, and if I had also made note of
what field marks I could discern while observing it, I would likely count it if
I later enlarged said photo and was able to confirm my suspicion.  But if I
then noticed another species in the same photo that I hadn't noticed while in
the field... no, sorry, I just couldn't bring myself to count it.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI