[wisb] Re: Counting after the fact birds

  • From: Mike Ramsden <mcramsden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wisbirdn wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:13:23 -0500

I'll chime in on this one too.  I don't think a bird should be countable in a
competitive comparitive listing situation unless that birder can correctly id
the bird on his own.  Feel free to take pictures, make field notes, draw
sketches, record songs, and then consult any and all resources available,
including the opinion of experts on what the relevant field marks should be.
Then make the id yourself.  If you are wrong, it has been a great learning
experience; next time you can get it right and then be able to count it.

The opposite of the above is sending a picture to an expert and having him tell
you what it is.  Or going on a trip to Costa Rica and listing everything the
guide tells you even though you wouldn't be able to id those same birds an hour
later.

Luckily, I rarely find myself in competitive comparitive listing situations so
I don't need to worry about any of this :)

Mike Ramsden
Beloit, Rock County, WI