[wisb] Common Goldeneye x Hooded Merganser hybrid (photo)

  • From: "B.G. Sloan" <bgsloan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 18:09:51 -0800 (PST)

I happened by McKinley Marina while Marilyn Bountly was scoping gulls. I
believe this was maybe 30 minutes before Tom Wood showed up. Marilyn pointed
out the "odd duck" to me, and I tried to snap a few photos of a distant bird
with my pocket camera. I was shooting kinda blind with the southern sun fading
my LCD viewfinder, but I'm pretty sure I got one semi-decent photo of the
hybrid:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14463444@N07/6849402393/in/photostream

Also, Tom mentioned that "the gulls were startled by something for a few
minutes". What startled the gulls was a woman walking her dog on the Milwaukee
Yacht Club docks.

Bernie Sloan
Milwaukee