[wisb] Chuck-will's-widow, others/Jackson County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2012 17:37:07 -0500

I spent about an hour last night at the Chuck-will's-widow site at Kirch and
Bartos-Staffon Rd.
I arrived at about 8:10 P.M. At 8:20, two Common Nighthawks flew from the
prison area  to the southeast.
At 8:34 P.M. I started hearing a continuous "chut, chut, chut..........."
that went on for 5  minutes. I didn't know what it was, but at 8:39 that
noise stopped, and from the same area the Chuck-will's-widow started with
its normal call, which it gave until 8:44 P.M. It then flew further to the
north where it was
barely audible, and then inaudible due to the roar of ATVS? somewhere to the
south,  a very loud Eastern Towhee, and several Hermit Thrushes. Then
several Whip-poor-wills chimed in, so there was no way to hear the Chuck. By
9:03 P.M. the ATV racket had ceased, the Eastern Towhee and Hermit
Thrushes had retired, and suddenly very near the road the Chuck-will's-widow
started up again. It was dark so I couldn't see it, but I felt it was within
20 feet of where I stood. Eventually it flew right over my head and landed
nearby on the south side of the road. It began calling again, this time
competing
with the "peenting" woodcocks. At the same time I heard some croaks back on
the north side of the road and the Chuck flew back to the north side of the
road and chased another bird (mate? competitor?) to the east.
All this time, the Whip-poor-will's were calling, the woodcocks peenting,
and frogs ( I don't know amphibian calls) were calling. Without actually
seeing too
much, I had a very exciting hour (I left at 9:20 P.M.) of birding due to all
the activity!

Thomas Wood,Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County