[wisb] Chequamegon Bay Orioles, Vireo, Catbirds, Flycatchers, Willets & more

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 20:07:48 -0500

This morning while out with the field ornithology class at Thompson's
West End Park in Washburn, we were treated to several new arrivals in
the area. First off, two singing Baltimore Orioles put the class in
awe, which was shortly followed by the chebek chebek of the Least
Flycatcher. Shortly after that, a Warbling Vireo sang and sang and
sang. We got a brief but good look at this quick-moving bird. As we
were scanning the bay, at least 10 Willets flew in front of us, and
leanded on the far shore from us.  Sightings from the morning are as
follows:
Location:     Thompson's West End Park
Observation date:     5/11/09
Number of species:     43
Canada Goose     3
Mallard     3
Blue-winged Teal     2
Northern Shoveler     2
Bufflehead     25
Common Goldeneye     7
Common Merganser     3
Red-breasted Merganser     2
Horned Grebe     1
Double-crested Cormorant     4
Great Blue Heron     1
Osprey     1
Killdeer     1
Spotted Sandpiper     3
Willet     10
Lesser Yellowlegs     1
Ring-billed Gull     30
Herring Gull     4
Mourning Dove     1
Belted Kingfisher     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Least Flycatcher     1
Warbling Vireo     1
Blue Jay     3
American Crow     5
Tree Swallow     40
Black-capped Chickadee     2
House Wren     1
American Robin     8
Gray Catbird     2
Brown Thrasher     4
European Starling     9
Cedar Waxwing     12
Yellow Warbler     1
Yellow-rumped Warbler     5
Chipping Sparrow     4
Clay-colored Sparrow     2
Savannah Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     10
Red-winged Blackbird     15
Pine Siskin     5
American Goldfinch     1
House Sparrow     1

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Ashland, WI
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/birdfedr

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.