[wisb] Buena Vista, Sandhill WLA, Necedah

  • From: "Ty Baumann" <TyBa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:14:36 -0500

The Bay Area Bird Club's field trip started at Buena Vista Grasslands at dawn on
Saturday, May 23rd with calm winds needed for hearing the grasslands' species.
Highlights were: Western Meadowlarks; Upland Sandpiper; Willow Flycatcher;
Henslow's,
Clay-colored, Field, Grasshopper and LeConte's Sparrows; Short-eared Owl, and a
great
close look at a Prairie Chicken.  We heard a Mockingbird and Black-billed
Cuckoo on
Townline Rd. south of Mill but were unable to get looks at them.
Late morning we toured Sandhill Wildlife Area with: Trumpeter Swans; Black
Terns;
Vesper Sparrows, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Eastern Wood Pewees; Scarlet Tanagers;
Indigo Buntings; and lots of Ovenbirds.  In the Bear Bluff area two very small
Sandhill Crane colts were separated from their parents unintentionally by our
presence. They fell off the dike into the water, so rescue was needed and they
were
successfully saved and reunited with their very agitated parents.
At Necedah we found a pair of Whooping Cranes and Trumpeter Swans from the
observation deck - a scope was very helpful as they were a long way out.  Also
added
a Canvasback to our growing list.  Time to head home to Green Bay, but not
without
one last stop on Van Patten Rd. east of Shiocton right before sunset.  We saw 3
Am.
Bitterns; Marsh Wrens, Yellow-headed Blackbirds; Ruddy Duck; and Virginia Rail
bringing out species count to 122 with 11 species of sparrows.  Also fun to
have a
couple rookie birders with us getting at least 15 life birds.
Ida & Ty Baumann - Field Trip Leaders
Green Bay, WI
Brown County