[wisb] Brillion State Wildlife Area-5/25/10

  • From: Andrew Reimer <andrew.reimer21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 19:14:55 -0500

Took my oldest boy for a ride out to Brillion after supper to see what was
around.  We stopped by the mudflats on the corner of Hwy. 32/B first.  While
I was looking at the shorebirds 100 yards off, my son spotted a Wilson's
Phalarope in a pair of water-filled tire tracks near the road.  It was close
enough to get some nice pictures even with my amateur photography
equipment.  Dunlins, a Least Sandpiper, Semi-palmated Plovers, Killdeer, and
a few Canada Geese and Mallards consisted of the rest of the visitors there.
Then we went to the Ducks Unlimited impoudment by Conservation Rd.  A pair
of Osprey are trying to build a nest on a bathouse by the furthest south
parking area.  Not sure they're going to succeed.  Pretty much the standard
water and shorebirds present.  My son was most fascinated by the Bobolinks
which were new to him.  The males were guarding territories and there were
several dozen in easy viewing.  Large flocks of Sandhill Cranes and Canada
Geese are still present.  No Marsh or Sedge Wrens, yet, though.  Complete
list below...
Location:     Calumet County, WI, US
Observation date:     5/25/10
Notes:     Area observed was in and around the Brillion Wildlife Area.
Number of species:     34
Canada Goose     50
Wood Duck     6
Mallard     10