[wisb] Bobolinks Oconto County

  • From: Bill Krouse <bkrouse1@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 19:05:22 -0500

On the way to the Oconto Nature Festival this today, we took Cty S off of Cty J
in southern Oconto County (west shore of Green Bay). Just beyond Geano Beach in
a field along Cty S near Monette Road, we watched as four male Bobolinks lined
up for two females to inspect their potential mates. The four males lined up in
the grass tops spaced evenly about a foot apart, as the females moved around in
front of them. After a short time they all dispersed into the field. I suspect
there will be at least two nesting pair in that field.
We then headed to a very nice nature festival, on the Copper Culture State Park
grounds. There were Bluebirds, Indigo Buntings and more around us all day. As I
left the mens room, a Sapsucker flew from a small tree just outside the door.
REGI was there with several birds of prey in their educational program. They do
a fabulous job  and kept a nice sized group of festival goers attention. Very
cool birds from a Kestrel, to a Harris Hawk, to a Long Eared Owl & an European
Barn Owl. A very fun event, check it out next year!
Bill Krouse
Southern Oconto County
Wild Ones Green Bay Chapter ####################