[wisb] Black-crowned Night Heron - Veterans Park Lagoon

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:12:10 -0400

Made a quick stop at the Veteran's Park Lagoon in Milwaukee this morning.  The
fog was thick along Lake Michigan so views were tough.

Red-winged blackbirds were actively defending their nest areas.  Meanwhile,
there was one Black-crowned Night Heron on the east side of the lagoon near the
south end.  It was a rare treat to see one perched out on the open and extended
upward.  It was unfortunate that the fog  present.  I managed to get one decent
photo and a couple with the fog, including two in-flight.

Photos were nothing spectacular, but documented the bird's presence.  I haven't
seen other BCN Herons at the lagoon for some time.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/

Tom Wright
Wales